Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Home Is Where The Heart Is

This past weekend I really got to see first hand what is meant by the expression "home is where the heart is".

As this was the first week John and I had spent even a night apart since the night before our wedding, I really minded it. I'm pretty sookie anyway but having to spend the weekdays apart really sucks. The first couple of days it was John who minded it most but as the week progressed it was me who finidng it more difficult. Don't get me wrong, I missed him the entire time but as the week went on I felt more and more lonely for him. The first few days I just kept thinking "okay, this is not too bad, we'll be fine" but by Thursday I was counting down the hours and minutes until I could see my handsome hubby. I think it is more difficult because we don't know when the end of this long distance thing is, we don't know when it will all come together for us so the unknown is what makes things more difficult!

So Saturday morning, I woke up from Erin's, drove home (I had already packed and had things ready) and got on the road to New Brunswick to see John. He had to work Saturday, Sunday and Monday but still the evenings together were perfect. I took Monday and Tuesday off so I could a) spend his day off/Tuesday with him and b) go to the interviews I had lined up.

Now I cannot get this point across enough, and I won't be posting pictures of it but the apartment John is staying in is no palace by any means. And by that I mean it's pretty terrible. But it's dry, warm and just in our budget while waiting for this house to sell so it does the trick. But while there I really and truly realized that I would rather be there in his shotty apartment with him than back at our beautiful new house without him. We both said that we felt much more relaxed and comforted knowing that we were together.
I know this will all work out in the end. I know things will be great for us but it is still a tough road sometimes as I make dinner for one, watch my girl TV shows without complaint, read my book in our way too quiet house, tuck myself in at night or wake myself up in the morning. I think that this will be one of those stories we tell our kids of "when your father and I first got married...". It will be one of those adventures and struggles that makes us stronger in the end. I love my husband and am so proud of him!! xo

No comments: